Flame retardents saved Miss C's life!
After my mom died of lung cancer I inherited my mom's sheets. I have not had to buy new sheets in over 7 years. Unfortunately many of them have cigarette burns in them. I have scanned one of them to illustrate my story. When I was a teenager I would beg and plead with my mom not to smoke in bed, as she regularly would set the sheets on fire. She didn't give a shit.
Had not her mattress and nightgown been permeated with flame retardent chemicals she and I would have died along with many of our apartment neighbors. Flame retardent may penetrate our skin and be present in our urine, but I am here to prove that they save many lives.
When I was very young there were often children, at the many elementary schools I attended, who had been badly burned when their night clothes caught on fire. There has been a recent hue and cry by a group of activists pushing to ban flame retardents. I have been hearing it all over the news and it has me very worried. I do not think they have a clue in hell how dangerous this would be.